Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Can Horse Dewormers Poison Dogs?

Got a strange question regarding dewormers:

Gross as it is, my dogs eat horse poop. I worry that they could get poisoned
after I deworm the horses. Is this reasonable, or does the toxin somehow get
denatured as it passes through the horse?

If anyone out there knows.... please comment or email!


  • My dogs, two 50-60 pound German Shepherds eat horse poop, too. (I guess it's not that strange, LoL). I feed Shadow, my horse, Strongid T or whatever. And my dogs are happy and healthy!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:58 PM, August 02, 2005  

  • All dogs eat horse poop. In fact, the American Indian word for dog litteraly means, "Horse poop eater". My dogs are fines and I think the dewormer kills all worms, but you might want to wait a few days, just in case, to let your dogs out. Better safe then sorry.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:47 AM, August 11, 2005  

  • Dogs are wormed with the same wormer that horses are, but in a smaller dose so the amout of wormer that they will actually consume is minimal and shouldn't hurt them.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:16 AM, March 22, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home